Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jobs

I finally got a job here in Portland that I believe is best suited to my needs.
It is a bit far, but I figure I can just take the bus and knit the whole way there.

YARNGARDEN!

it's a wonderful place and the owner is such a wonderful lady.

wonderful wonderful wonderful.

i'm very excited about tomorrow, it's my first day! it's a training day, and i should be there from 10am-2pm.

she said i could do some sample knitting and it's free!
the best part about this job, is that in the interview i brought a couple pieces of my portfolio with me... including the entrelac gloves i've been working on for so long!

she said i'd be able to teach, no problem. especially with a pattern like that. If I teach a class, not only do i get moneys for doing that (about 50-85 bucks an hour, depending) but i'll be able to sell my pattern to people and make all the money off of those! the job also gives me insight on whether or not i would want to own my own yarn shop/cafe... although, Linda (the owner) says she's getting rid of the cafe room and turning it into a classroom. Although, we will still have coffee and tea - it'll just be free this time around for all the customers. She found it to be quite impressive that I knew how to make coffee, which was fortunate for me.

yesterday, in celebration of the new job, old friends and i drank and were merry. we got a breakfast lunch out at a cafe and Brandon created a fantastic elixir that I will share with you... it was absolutely mind blowing!

take a punch bowl and fill it with ice...
then!
a couple of tall boys of pabst blue ribbon
a couple cups of vodka
and a half to full can of frozen orange juice or lemonade concentrate...
or you could use pink lemonade and call it a Pink Panty Pulldown, like we were calling it... alliterations are extra fun when you're drunk

i sure miss you guys!
miss nancie is coming to see me!
i also hear train tickets are nice and cheap....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how did training day go? Wow, that's great that you will get to teach and share your pattern. The owner sounds awesome.

I'm so happy for you. Now, knit out them jams!

Cheryl said...

Laura
Congratulations on your job. That is terrific that you can gain income on a passion and creativity. Being able to make coffee is a bonus at the right place/time. How was your visit from Nancie?

Anonymous said...

Awesome about the job!!! And that's Fantastic that you would be able to teach. I think you should teach a class on those fantastic wonderfully amazing gloves you could easily charge 10$ for that pattern.

Sounds like you are gettting a wonderful start to the year.